Band & Choir Camp
June 15 — 19, 2020
Applicable Ages: 12-18. Residential or day camp. Co-ed.
Cost: $600 for residential; $350 for day camp
MMA's Band and Choir Camp is an intensive one-week experience for young musicians to engage their musical enthusiasm, develop musicianship skills and boost their confidence through their participation. At the end of the week, campers will perform what they have learned in an open-to-the-public concert to share their knowledge and experience with friends, families and the community.
In addition to being challenged in vigorous daily rehearsals with the support of professional musical support and guidance, campers will be able to enjoy MMA's recreational facilities and activities, including swimming, paintball, rappel tower, assault course, gym activities and movie theater in their free time.
Band & Choir Camp FAQ
- What are the eligibility requirements?
- How is ensemble placement determined? Should my child prepare?
- What is the camp's daily schedule?
- My child plays a non-band instrument (i.e. guitar, violin, piano, etc.). Can they attend camp?
- My child plays percussion. What should they bring?
- What is the dress for the concert?
- When will we receive notification if our child is selected for the camp?
Young instrumentalists must have at least two years of study and ensemble experience on their instrument prior to camp. For young singers, there is no prerequisite except willingness to sing.
Please note, these are suggested and preferred requirements, if you would like to discuss this then please email Camp Director Rob McGrath at firstname.lastname@example.org.
On arrival, instrumentalists and singers will have an audition lasting approximately 5 minutes. The audition is intended to be stress-free, but it will result in chair placement.
- Instrumentalists: Prepare a two-minute excerpt or etude — there will be no requirement for scales. Students will be asked to sight-read this excerpt. If a student arrives late to camp and misses the initial placement audition then we will endeavor to hold a quick audition on arrival to determine placement.
- Percussionists: Auditions for the percussion areas will be in areas which each student has experience. If a student has never played timpani, they do not have to audition on timpani, but they will have the opportunity to play them during the week. Note: percussionists should bring their own sticks in a stick bag labeled with their name. Sticks to bring include: a concert snare, bells/xylophone, marimba, timpani.
- Singers: Prepare a short song which highlights vocal skills. Students will be asked to take part in an aural test to determine what range they sing (SATB) and sight-sing a brief verse/chorus of a song.
- 7 – 7:45 AM: Breakfast
- 8 – 8:45 AM: Aural Training
- 9 – 10:30 AM: Concert Band/Choir
- 10:30 – 10:45 AM: Break
- 11 AM – 12 PM: Sectionals
- 12 – 1 PM: Lunch
- 1 – 3 PM: Concert Band/Choir
- 3:30 – 5:30 PM: Recreational Activities
- 6 – 6:45 PM: Dinner
- 7 – 8 PM: Concert Band/Choir
- 8:15 – 9:45 PM: Evening Activities
- 9:45 – 10 PM: Quiet Time
*Please note schedule is subject to change.
Confirmation and camp materials will be mailed approximately 3-4 weeks before the actual camp date. If you are concerned confirmation has been made, you may contact the camp office at 573-581-1776 ext. 521 and leave a message and return phone number, or you may email the camp director at email@example.com.