Current sophomore and junior cadets seeking an opportunity to hone their leadership skills are currently vying for leadership designations for the 2021-22 academic year. In their leadership roles, cadet leaders are expected to set the example as mentors and role models to other cadets, hold their fellow cadets accountable, teach greater responsibility to their brothers, represent the 133rd Missouri Military Academy Corps of Cadets, and much more.
The selection criteria for all leadership designations shall be the ‘best man.” While a cadet’s tenure in the corps may be a consideration, it will not be used as the determining factor for selection. Factors that will carry strong weight will be department grade, athletic participation, academic performance and extracurricular participation. Finally, those who can positively influence others by providing purpose, direction, and motivation in their daily actions will be highly favored.
All sophomore and junior cadets are highly encouraged to apply for these positions which demand the highest levels of leadership qualities, academic excellence and positive character traits. Younger classmen are urged to observe the process and consider how they can begin preparing for leadership roles in the future. Scroll down for how to apply and a list of available positions.
The Value of Developing Cadet Leadership Skills
The true value of cadet leadership skills not only lies within the corps, but also in what comes after it — in college, career and adult life. Leadership is a cornerstone of the MMA experience and the most valuable skill cadets can attain in preparation for their post-secondary education and lives.
Top universities and employers consider personal character among the most valuable trait in a college or job applicant. Leadership skills are among the best and most effective ways to show an individual's character.
The Competitive Application Process
Leader applicants must submit a short resume package for the MMA Designation Board’s consideration no later than March 22, 2021. Interviews will be held in mid-April, and designation announcements will be made in May.
Cadets not selected for the above designated positions will have a chance to apply and compete for Platoon Leader and Platoon Sergeant positions while attending Summer Cadre Leadership Training in early August. These positions will be selected based on overall performance and recommendations provided by the designated Cadet Battalion Commander and Company Commanders.
The resume package will include:
- a cover page with a school photo and bulleted list of the top three leadership positions an applicant is applying for
- a one page biography concisely explaining why the applicant is qualified, committed and the best choice for a leadership position at MMA
- an objective resume no more than one page
- one personal reference letter from a MMA faculty or staff member
For details about the resume package format and guidelines, click here.
Cadets must submit their resume package to Executive Assistant to the Commandant Stephanie Windsor in Barnard Hall, Room 206. With questions about the resume package, including format or inclusion details, cadets should contact Commandant Rick Grabowski via email at email@example.com or in Barnard Hall, Room 206.
Available Leadership Designations
Positions available for designation are as follows:
- Battalion Commander
- Battalion Sergeant Major
- Battalion Executive Officer
- Battalion Adjutant (S-1)
- Battalion Intelligence Officer (S-2)
- Battalion Operations Officer (S-3)
- Battalion Logistics Officer (S-4)
- Battalion Public Affairs/Activities Officer (S-5)
- Band Company Commander
- Bravo Company Commander
- Charlie Company Commander
- Delta Company Commander
- Bravo Company Executive Officer
- Charlie Company Executive Officer
- Delta Company Executive Officer
- Band Company First Sergeant
- Bravo Company First Sergeant
- Charlie Company First Sergeant
- Delta Company First Sergeant
- Fusileer Drill Team Commander