Dear MMA Fusileer Families,
It with great pleasure and pride that I send this email regarding the Fusileers upcoming trip to Daytona, Florida for nationals. Please review the following information and click the button below to complete the appropriate travel paperwork.
Missouri Military Academy has been invited to participate in the annual 2022 US Army JROTC National Drill Team Championships and the 2022 All Services National High School Drill Team Championships. This year’s competition will be at the Ocean Center Arena Convention Center in Daytona Beach, FL between April 14-16, 2022.
As a member of the Fusileer Drill Team, your cadet is one of the team’s top cadets selected to represent the Academy in this awesome opportunity.
- Tuesday, April 12: Cadets depart campus on chartered busses at 1200 after lunch on campus. Cadets will travel through the night stopping for dinner and breakfast in the morning.
- Wednesday, April 13: Cadets will arrive in Daytona approximately 0800. We will register the team. Each team will have time to practice and get the logistics of their routines. After practice we will eat dinner and return to the hotel for uniform preparations.
- Thursday, April 14: US Army JROTC Drill Nationals kicks off at 0700. Competitions will continue through the day until the Awards Ceremony at 1900. Meals will be provided by Jimmy Johns.
- Friday, April 15: All Service Drill Nationals kicks off at 0700. Competitions will continue through the day
- Saturday, April 16: All Service Drill Nationals Day 2.
- Sunday, April 17: Cadets will travel to Sea World in Orlando for a fun educational trip to learn about sea animals. After a full day of fun, cadets will return to the hotel.
- Monday, April 18: Cadets arrive at MMA approximately 0200.
A more detailed itinerary will be shared in the next few weeks.
MMA does receive some support from the U.S. Army for this JROTC-event, but after that support, the cost to MMA for the competition, transportation, food, and hotel for 41 cadets for this opportunity is still estimated at $7,000.
That being said, we are only asking that each family pay $300 to offset the cost of travel and a portion of the competition that is not covered by the U.S. Army, as well as the day trip to SeaWorld (which covers admission and lunch while at the park). This amount will be charged to your QM account in the month of April. You can also choose to provide additional funds for snacks and souvenirs to your cadet. To put money on his account for the trip, please click here.
Of note, there will be no cost for lodging on this trip. Those expenses will be provided for by MMA. See lodging information below.
In Florida, we will be staying at the Best Western Plus Daytona Inn Seabreeze Oceanfront.
- Address: 730 N Atlantic Avenue Daytona Beach, Florida 32118
- Phone Number: (386) 255-5491
Joining Your Cadet
Family members are encouraged to attend this event.
If you are looking to attend nationals, you are welcome to reserve a hotel room at the Best Western Plus Daytona Inn Seabreeze Oceanfront. If they are booked, I suggest looking for a hotel in the Daytona Beach area, close to Ocean 1 Convention Center in Daytona Beach.
Please note: Cadets will not be able to stay overnight with their parents in their hotel room during the trip. As their coach, I am responsible for these boys and I owe them the opportunity to compete at the national level with their heads in the game. Parents will be allowed to spend time with their cadet during the week, but curfews will be enforced. These boys have put in countless hours of hard work for their success and I want them to stay on that glideslope to the end.
Attending Sea World
If you would like to join us at Sea World, please contact me so I can add your ticket to our group package (which makes your ticket cheaper — $95 vs. $135, plus a meal). Please contact me prior to April 1st to add your ticket to our group purchase. See my contact information below.
Travel & Luggage
Our mode of transportation will be one MMA van and two chartered coach busses. We will travel heading East on I-70, I-24 East to I-75 South. See map below.
Fuel will be replenished as needed. All stops at gas stations will be monitored inside the gas station by one member of faculty to ensure only snacks are purchased. No bags will be permitted to leave the van except when we stay the night in Daytona.
A luggage inspection will occur Monday, April 11. All bags will be inspected. Please note, civilian clothing is not authorized. Uniforms for cadets will be:
- MMA athletic travel uniform for days of travel.
- 1889 uniform with white trousers for the two days of competition.
- Sunday uniform will be MMA travel uniform.
- Monday and Tuesday will be athletic travel uniform.
Supervision will be maintained at all times. Cadets will maintain the buddy system and not be permitted to go anywhere alone. Additionally, all cadets and staff will exchange phone numbers in the event someone is separated from the group.
Discipline issues will be addressed on a case-by-case basis, but severity can range from being withheld from the competition to being sent home early at the expense of the cadet’s parent.
Medication will be pre-packaged by the cadet clinic and will be dispensed by MMA staff throughout the week for cadets that take medication.
Emergency Contact Information
In the event of an emergency, please contact Missouri Military Academy at (573) 581-1776. If you need to contact myself or SFC John Biddle (the other MMA chaperone for this trip), our contact information is as follows:
Tel: (904) 703-9515
If needed, you can reach the transportation agency (US Tours) at (800) 492-2601.
Please click the button below to download the travel permission document. It requires your signature in order for your son to travel and attend this special event. Please sign and scan this document, and email it to me at email@example.com.
Please return this document before April 1.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to me on my cell phone (904)703-9515. It has been a pleasure working with your boys for another successful drill season.
Thank you for your support,
MMA Fusileer Coach
Deputy Commandant of Support